Sunday Bake: Remember The London Cheesecake at Greggs? Make Your Own With This Simple Recipe

09:17:00

Image result for london cheesecake recipe


Hey Lovelies,

In the UK, way back in the early 00s, there was an amazing bake that you could only get in Greggs. Every time I went in there, I had to get two things. The classic gingerbread man and the brilliant, dreamy, traditional, London Cheesecake. For years, these were the bakes I lived off of when allowed a treat.

Sadly, as I have gotten older, I haven’t seen them as much. Greggs don’t seem to make them anymore and it is a real shame. But it has led to this blog post. After searching for a recipe, I found one and with the memories flooding back, I just couldn’t not share it with you lovelies.

Get ready to remember the beauty of the London Cheesecake:

Ingredients
  • 1 Pack of Ready to Roll Puff Pastry
  • Strawberry or Raspberry Jam
  • 200g Icing/Fondant Sugar
  • Shredded/Desiccated Coconut (Enough to sprinkle on the top of each cheesecake)
  • Egg (Optional)
  • Frangipane (Optional)

Tools
  • Baking Tray
  • Knife
  • Baking Paper
  • Teaspoon
  • Bowl
  • Sieve
  • Tablespoon

Method
  1. Preheat the oven to 200(C). Line your baking tray with baking paper and leave to one side.
  2. Unroll your pastry and mark out 12 squares with the knife. Place six of them onto the baking tray, evenly spread out. These will be the bottoms of your cheesecakes.
  3. Using a teaspoon, place a small amount of jam onto each base. Then spread to make a thin layer all over it. If you decide to use the frangipane, add a small teaspoon into the middle of each one.
  4. Place the remain six squares onto the top of each pastry and press down along the sides to stick. You could use a little bit of egg wash to make sure that they hold.
  5. Once ready, place in the oven for 20 minutes or until the top is a light golden colour. Leave on the tray to cool.
  6. As the pastry cools, make the icing. Sift the powder into a bowl and add 4 tablespoons of water, one at a time, to make a thick paste-like texture. Make sure to keep stirring to prevent it from going hard.
  7. When the pastries are ready, spoon an even amount onto the tops and spread to coat it all. Then sprinkle the coconut on top. Leave for around five minutes to set.
  8. Once the time is up, it is time to dig into this good old-fashioned dessert!

Who else used to go to Greggs and buy these? I haven’t seen them in years, but when I come home from the hospital, I will be making these to remind myself of them! Let me know if you make them and share your pictures too lovelies.

Joey X

You Might Also Like

12 comments

  1. You can get them in Aldi now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooo I will have to look out for them lovely! Xxx

      Delete
  2. Ooooh, lush - I'm on my way!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many thanks Joey - I love these so much and cant wait to bake them.
    You're a Star!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember these from times spent with my grandmother. The local bakery used to have them. Nan would buy them on Saturday and we would have them at teatime on Sunday

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best cakes ever without a doubt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is my favourite cake ever.. I remember when the puff pastry was about 2 inches high and had plenty of coconut strands on top. When I was young bakers would come to our house with a huge basket of cakes. Great selection, but the cheesecakes were first to be picked. Have not had one for many years. Years ago Sunblest used to make them and sold in Sainsburys. They discontinued stocking them. When I see pictures of them now there is scant coconut on top and pastry is very thin. I did not know Aldi is stocking them apparently.

      Delete
  6. London Cheesecake became popular in early 50s down south. Greggs are unique in that they sell cakes popular or traditional to each region of England. The London cheesecake is only available in the south east region I think. Sadly they don’t sell it in my local stores anymore so thank you for the recipe, I’ve been craving this sweet number so I’m off to bake some :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Used to have these at school in Kent during the 80’s don’t really remember the jam in it tho. Didn’t know it was an actual named cake thought the cooks were just using up pastry and shoved coconut & icing on top🤣 every day is a learning day 😉

      Delete
    2. They were fantastic!

      Delete
  7. We had them in the south of England in the sixties and we knew them as Cheese Cakes, they were very good. Aldi did them and they came from a bakery in Essex! Not seen them outside of the south though. Will try your recipe but the shredded coconut seems hard to find.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bought some London Cheesecakes from Aldi today

    ReplyDelete