Blogmas Day 21: Give A Priceless Gift This Christmas With These Simple Ideas

08:30:00

Image result for christmas giving

Hey Lovelies, 

Helping someone who is going through something at Christmas time can be a truly lovely thing. For many, the holiday season is filled with parties, joy and the art of giving. Yet, it can also be a time of sadness, stress and pain for many. The littlest things though can bring a moment of calm, serenity and happiness.

Life on an eating disorder ward is tough. As someone who adores Christmas, never did I imagine that I would be spending one in hospital. However, finally, I think I am seeing just how ill I am. If this means that I have to miss one Christmas than sadly I am going to do it. Even though I am certain that there will be many tears on the big day because of it.

Having only been here two days, I have already found though that people can be the nicest when they really don’t have to be. I have been welcomed into the group on the ward with open arms and I truly thank them for it. On my second day, they even gave me presents and cards. Something I was not expecting at all.

Giving a small gift, even if it is just a card, can mean the world to someone. It doesn’t have to cost anything. It can be homemade, a moment, even a hug, but it can mean everything. There so, I wanted to create this post to highlight some of the ways you can help a stranger, friend or relative going through something at this time of year:

Phone A Friend: Lots of elderly or lonely people don’t speak to anyone at this time of year. Find out from Age UK or other local charities how you can change this. Even if you take 30 minutes out of your Christmas Eve shopping, Christmas Day turkey cooking or Boxing Day snoozing to do so, I am certain it will make all the difference.

Donate A Present: Instead of buying those gifts for yourself that catch your eye or small unneeded gifts for others that will go to waste, why not buy them for people who really need them? A box of chocolates could help feed a lot of people at a homeless shelter. Warm cosy socks, hats and scarfs can too. Unwanted gifts after Christmas? Donate them to your local charity shop or host a swap shop so that they don’t go to waste. Put a few bits of money into a charity pot or shop lovelies. Even if it is only coppers, it can help fund so many projects, such as books for children, other countries in need and more.

Visit and Be There: Simply going to see someone can be a gift within itself. Whilst on the ward I have seen how seeing a friend or family member can go a long way. It changes people and makes them incredibly happy. There is a sadness I spot when people go and believe me, I went through it when my mum left on the first day. However, knowing that you have a visitor coming helps you get through the day and I think that comes out in lots of ways. Take the time to see an old friend, family member or a neighbour this holiday season. You never know how by just being with you will make them feel.

Create A Gift Scheme: I had never thought about this before, but I loved the idea when I heard it. Using tools on or offline, you could give the gift of a gift card scheme this Christmas. Netflix film night loyalty cards. Cooking meals for loved ones. Date nights needed. Whatever the options, create a funky gift card and hand it to those you love. Then when they need a bit of one on one time, they can use it. You will be like the Genie from Aladdin in no time.

Lend A Hand: Volunteering has become something many of us would love to do. But, with time always running out at Christmas, with present wrapping, gift buying and more, it can be tough to do. Simple things are achievable though. Why not spend a morning or evening helping in a local food bank or kitchen for the homeless? Ask someone if you can give them a car share opportunity to spend time with their loved ones on the big day. Invite a person you know will be alone to come and have Christmas Day with you and your loved ones. There are so many opportunities and you can do so many of them for a small fee or nothing lovelies. I know it can be stressful, but a little goes a long way in this case.

However, you can help is amazing lovelies. If my experience is teaching me anything this year, it is that kindness is all around. Something Love Actually got very right. If only we had Hugh Grant for a Prime Minister to help us see this even more.

Joey X

You Might Also Like

0 comments