My Love Of Romantic Comedies and Teen Films Need Your Vote!

15:30:00




Good Afternoon Lovelies,

My name is Joey and I am addicted to rom-coms and teen films! There I have said it! Honestly, if you were to stick on something like The Duff or Twilight, I would be your girl!

And I don’t know why! Whether it is due to me not growing out of them or just a genuine love for them, but if a new one comes out than I am all for it. Set It Up and The Kissing Booth, both on Netflix, being strong examples of this recently.


This all led to one morning this week, where I found myself wondering about the films I grew up with and how they shaped my love of going to the cinema. Growing up we didn’t have a lot of money to go very often to the pictures, so I was often left enjoying films a lot later than everyone else when they had been released on home entertainment. Something that made me appreciate movies a lot more.

I remember sitting watching Pretty Woman - probably when I was too young - on a cold day snuggled up in bed. I can recall so clearly sitting with my mum after she had had an operation and watching Bridget Jones’s Diary, which she had borrowed from a friend, with Ready Brek. And heading into Woolworths to pick it up on video ourselves, along with Bend It Like Beckham, a film that fuelled my young love of football. Cruel Intentions, Legally Blonde, She's All That, 10 Things I Hate About You, the list goes on and on.


As I got older other films took their place. Valentine’s Day was spent watching Juno one year, whilst birthday’s and late November’s were spent enjoying the world of Bella Swan in the Twilight franchise. Something that was later replaced by The Hunger Games features. All of which I am not afraid to say I adore.

I find myself often turning back to them in times of comfort and when I just need to feel something familiar. Especially Dirty Dancing! A film that led to my first ever film crush. Thank you, Mr. Swayze! I honestly don’t know what I would do without this film.

As time goes on, the world of rom-coms and teen features are pressed harder and harder to be more real and hard-hitting. Yet, I feel like they should be allowed to still have fun. Films like Edge of Seventeen, The Duff and Love, Simon have made this idea live on, leading many of us to still watch them. And yes, while they may not always be the most amazing Steven Spielberg feature, they do give us the escape we need.


There so, as a special feature on the blog, I have decided to go on a binging spree to bring a weekly breakdown of a classic teen film. Good, bad or downright cheesy genius, I will be watching, loving or hating for this website and you. And I have every faith that I’m going to enjoy every minute of it.

However, I am going to need your help with this a little bit. On Twitter and Facebook, I will be running a poll of a selection of romantic comedies and teen classics and you guys will get to choose which ones I watch and dissect. The first of which I will be posting later today lovelies, so keep a close eye out for it and get involved.

Let the rom-com/teen film marathons begin!

Blog Soon,
Joey X

You Might Also Like

0 comments