Plebs Season Four DVD Review

09:00:00



Good Morning Lovelies, 

Plebs was a show that I stumbled across a few years ago and to begin with, I wasn’t sure what I thought about it. I couldn’t tell if I liked it or not, but as I fell into a binge-watching session, I fell hard for it. Most specifically Grumio, who is me in another life I swear!

There so, when news reached me that a fourth series was going to land on our screens this year, I was beyond excited to have him back in my life. With no clear plot, meaning you can watch any episode and understand it perfectly fine, the show is one that you can stick on anywhere and enjoy.

Following three young men, as they navigate their lives around ancient Rome, the show captures Grumio (Ryan Sampson), Marcus (Tom Rosenthal) and newcomer Jason (Jonathan Pointing) as they try to run their own restaurant, which is an old public toilet, make friends and build relationships. Or in Grumio’s case, live in a spa and enjoy all the food that he can. It is here that I point out that Stylax (Joel Fry), has sadly passed on after a rock falls on him.

The show never fails to make the most extreme elements occur in the lives of the characters, captured in the first minute of the series when a rock falls on Stylax, but all of it is done with a gentle funny nature. One that has made Plebs such a loveable show for all to enjoy. Whether it be because of Sampson’s superb performance as Grumio or the helpless nature of Rosenthal’s Marcus.

After the death of their friend and the series one to three regular, each episode manages to build up the familiar feelings that have made it a success. There is a hint to begin with that Jason is not the man to replace him, but after the first two features, Pointing fits in well and builds a strong relationship with not only the characters but also the audience, as a best friend figure to Grumio. Both of which who should not be allowed to hang out with the other one.

Series four makes for a strong base for further episodes and audiences if like me will be pining for them lovelies. The newcomer fits the dynamic we love, but it feels like his story and the others isn’t over yet. The mayhem is definitely not done. And there is room for more of it in Rome.

The show doesn’t lack anything from not having the old characters and if they were to return and star in it again, we would happily accept. That is what makes Plebs so great in fact. It all feels like whatever happens you will be accepted. Even as an audience member watching it. It has a heart and one we can all accept.

There so, I am giving it…

5 Stars 

Blog Soon, 
Joey X 

You Might Also Like

0 comments