I Finally Saw Hamilton and It Was AMAZING! Find Out About It Here...

14:30:00




Good Afternoon Lovelies,

A few years ago, I decided to turn on the Hamilton soundtrack, after hearing so much about it. With very few clips online and not much knowledge of the man himself, I wasn’t sure what I was going to find. Yet, now nearly two years later, it has led to an admiration for it like no other!

When I heard it was coming to London, I knew I had to have my shot (sorry!) and finally watch it on the big stage. As rumours swirled that Lin Manuel Miranda, the creator, was going to take on the figure for UK audiences, I sat at my computer at work in about 20 queues trying to get into the first batch of tickets.

And luckily, I managed to get them, for 24th May 2018. A date I was willing to wait over a year for.
Upon the show opening in December, after a small delay, my need to see it grew even more. As did my friend Amy’s. So, we decided to make a pact that we would both enter the lottery for £10 tickets and if the other got it we would take each other. Last week, on Tuesday, my world changed as I found out I had won them. After some very exciting messages, I rung up the box office and found that I had front row seats in the Stalls and any dignity I had as I jumped around my work.

Wednesday was the day and I was there in the queue straight away and sat prepped (not by any chance) to watch it well before 7:30pm. With our seats sat so close to the stage, I laid my hand on it at one point and I swear to god I debated never washing it again (I have!), however that wasn’t the best part. After a themed voiceover telling us to turn everything off, I could see Alexander Hamilton waiting in the wings to come out and I knew, at last, this was it.


Opening the show with Alexander Hamilton, I could instantly tell why everyone has fallen under its charm so much. The characters are likeable, even the ones you are not meant to and the show is so beautifully produced that no element of the stage is left untouched. Scenes came to life in ways I didn’t imagine them doing so when I had listened to the soundtrack and the knowledge you take in even if you have listened to it for a long time grows.

All of which is helped with an unbelievably incredible cast. Jamael Westman takes on Hamilton in his third job since leaving RADA and he definitely rises up to the challenge. There are so many similarities to him and Lin Manuel Miranda in the role that you can see why they chose him. He has the voice, the acting abilities and I know this is a little bit over the top, but a cheeky smile that makes you fall under his charms. And I am saying this after he moved over to my side of the stage and spat on me a little bit! That’s passion for the character lovelies aha!

Joining him is his fellow leading men, Giles Terera (Aaron Burr), Obioma Ugoala (George Washington), Jason Pennycooke (Marquis de Lafayette/Thomas Jefferson), Tarinn Callender (Hercules Mulligan/James Madison), Cleve September (John Laurens/Philip Hamilton), who all play their parts with so much force and power that it is hard to remember what the clips/stars who played them before did. They make the characters their own and it works in every way possible, especially Ugoala’s turn as Washington. I was shocked to find he wasn’t in more musicals before this because his voice is unbelievable lovelies.


Accompanying them is Michael Jibson, as the perfect King George. Bringing comedy and laughs with him every time he walked on stage, they didn’t stop until the end. Wearing the crown, he has the ability to command the audience and make them root for him, even when he is threatening to kill people’s families. An unbiased view I swear, even though he sat above me and smiled at one point aha!

Whilst, the formidable Schuyler sisters are played by Rachelle Ann Go (Eliza), Rachel John (Angelica) and Christine Allado (Peggy/Maria Reynolds). Eliza and Angelica are two characters who bring normality amid war and the emotions expressed in their scenes are brought hard. Forget the Spice Girls, these women are bringing the girl power hard!

I will admit lovelies I was a little bit worried about seeing the show. After falling in love with the music, I wasn’t sure how the scenes were going to play out. I didn’t know if there was a script to it. I wasn’t sure if it would lose the charm people say the Broadway one has. But I can say that I am an even bigger fan walking away from it now. I came away knowing more about the characters/historical figures than I thought I knew. I could appreciate the songs more than I did before and weirdly they mean so much more now that I can picture them.


Hearing an audience cheer as loudly as they did when the line, “Immigrants, we get the job done,” is said out loud will stay with me for a long time. As the child of an immigrant, I knew it was a powerful line, but seeing the audience react in such a way (I joined in the cheering), was a magical moment that I can’t think of any other show beating.

Hamilton is a show that no matter where it is staged or shown will connect with audiences in some way. Whether it be learning something new about one of the founding fathers or giving you the power to go out there and get your shot, it is a clever and powerful viewing that I can’t suggest you see lovelies. Walking out of the theatre, I turned back and wished I could have walk back into the theatre again and watch it all over. That lottery will be used lots lovelies aha!

All I can say to end this post lovelies, is a massive thank you too, Lin Manuel Miranda, the London cast and overall Alexander Hamilton for allowing me the chance to see this masterpiece! Bring on May so I can see it again already! 

Blog Soon, 
Joey X 

You Might Also Like

0 comments