The Possession Review

13:52:00


 Hello My Lovely's,



So around all of my revision, yesterday I felt so ill and decided to watch this film. It’s the weirdest thing I do but whenever I am ill I have to watch a horror film. I mean when I had Pneumonia I watched the TV show 'Dead Set', 'Carrie', 'Halloween' and many others, for no reasons, on my own and sometimes in the middle of the day.  I know, weirdo!

From the look of the film I automatically assumed it was going to be a stereotypical horror film where a little girl gets possessed and everyone ends up dying. But it was actually very good :) It wasn't a scary horror film more of a thriller with only certain aspects being used to make the audience jump or get that sick feeling.

These scenes are ones that are subtle but if like me you are familiar with the horror film genre then you will definitely know when they are coming and I think that it is still quite interesting. A scene to watch out for is the possessed child and her mother in the kitchen which will leave you all feeling a little unsettled.

Acting wise, I think as a leading man Jeffrey Dean Morgan, plays a very lovable father who is obviously trying to build his relationship with his daughters yet a force has been put between them. There isn't a suffering relationship in the family as they seem to all get on which is quite refreshing in the world of Hollywood as so many of them hate each other or don't want to be near each other. While this is the case it is the father’s independence that saves them which I found was done really well in a horror film.

The young actress in this film who plays the possessed Emily gives a brilliant performance. She reminded me so much of the Linda Blair of this generation, just without the sick! Her acting in the scenes with the hand in her throat, crying on cue and other acts that I hadn't expected from her as just fantastic for an actress as young as this. I think she was perfect for the role and can see her going far.

Something that sticks out to me was the religious side of the film. This film approached a completely different way of ridding the child of the demon which is fantastic in a world of cinema. No one has done this in any other films I have seen so it was quite a risky but successful choice for director Ole Bornedal.


An overall successful film but doesn't branch out into a different horror world.

I am giving this...

4 Stars

Until Next Time...
Joey xxx


You Might Also Like

0 comments